Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Skirts and Dresses and Fabric Oh My!

Skirts and Dresses and Fabric Oh My!
I headed to a 50s themed evening at the Sugar Club in August.
in Dublin where they will be showing Roman Holiday
So in honour if the event( and a great excuse) I am making my costume for it. How it will turn out is a different story.
I don't know how many times I have a great idea but the actual application of it never quite works out how it looks in my head

I made a petticoat using SugarDales brilliant tutorial http://sugardale.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-make-petticoat.html
but I think it might need to be a bit more poofy so I am making another one to go under it.



I made 3 circle skirts, 2 for my sisters and 1 for me, in blue, navy and wine






I cut the skirt so it was a half circle and 2 quarter circles so I could have a zip at the back
I made the seams using a french seam as I have recently become addicted to it.

It looks so neat, I always thought it was just extra work but it is brilliant for fraying types of materials
The waistband is made using the waistband from Gerties Full gathered skirt tutorial


I am also (just to be awkward) am making a fancier dress. I made the skirt using Gerties Full gathered skirt tutorial
Part One: http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2009/08/sew-full-gathered-skirt-part-one-make.html
Part Two: http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2009/08/make-this-skirt-part-two-of-gathered.html
and the top using the http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/draft-a-bodice-with-sweetheart-neckline
The zip for the Skirt and top is at the side with the chiffon not being sewn in but seamed and left open so you can get the skirt on. Saw a great example of this on a wedding dress in a charity shop

No comments:

Post a Comment